On the first day of Christmas my true love game to me, Birmingham nil and Arsenal three.1
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me, two Arsenal goals and a come from behind victory.2
On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me a one-nil win over Udinese.3
On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me a ticket to the League Cup final where we lost to Birmingham City.4
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me a one-one draw to Borussia Dortmund.5
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me a one-nil win over Marseille.6
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me Santos’ first goal and an Olympiakos victory.7
On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me Arsenal scoring three on Shrewsbury.8
On the ninth day of Christmas my true love gave to me an amazing save by Wojiech Szczesny.9
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me an Aaron Ramsey goal and a 1-0 victory.10
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me a five three win and the destruction of John Terry.11
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me the win over Barca and a goal by Robin van Persie.12
Happy Holidays Gooners! Here’s to an even better 2012.
1. This match was notable as Robin van Persie’s first goal of 2011
2. Arsenal 2-1 Everton was one of Arsenal’s more resilient displays of 2011 though a sort of minor match. Everton lead for the majority of the game before Arshavin scored the equalizer and five minuted later Kosciely got the winner.
3. Sure, it’s not the most emphatic win but at the time Arsenal were in serious trouble with Cesc and Nasri leaving and the defense in turmoil. The Gunners defended the 1-0 win after Theo put them ahead in just the 4th minute.
4. You might not think this is a great memory but I met some really great friends and got a chance to see Arsenal in a cup final. How many people get to say that?
5. It was still early irons for Arsenal’s new look defense but buoyed by a late first half strike, Arsenal weathered an important storm against Borussia and their amazing crowd. In the end, it took a wonderstrike to beat Arsenal’s defense but not before the team earned major plaudits.
6. Arsenal still were struggling with early season form and Wenger was under a lot of pressure to deliver so, a trip to the south of France was just what the doctor ordered. Ramsey was a late sub and proved the perfect tonic as his late winner all but secured Arsenal berth into the next round of the Champions League.
7. If you don’t remember this game, let me refresh your memory. Song, long diagonal ball, The Ox™ takes the pass, clips past the defender and scores his first ever Champions League goal.
8. Again, another Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain beauty. Sure, it’s just a League Cup match but this was his very first Arsenal goal. This one came at the perfect time, Arsenal had just lost 4-3 to Blackburn and needed a bit of hope. The Ox™ gave us all that hope.
9. This game had it all. Udinese played magnificently and Arsenal were down 1-0 but Robin drags them back into the game with a second half strike before the ref awards a penalty. That’s when Szczesny steps up with a brilliant save, keeping Arsenal in the game, and securing Arsenal’s place in the Champions League.
10. The win over Man U at the end of last season was a bright spot in an otherwise very dark time for Arsenal. That Ramsey got the winner was the sweetest part.
11. Very few things in life will ever be as sweet as the sight of John Terry falling over as Robin van Persie scores a hattrick.
12. Surely you don’t need a recap of this game.