Here’s your list of Golden Boot winners since the inception of the Premier League. And here’s a list of facts:
- There have only been 7 players who have scored 30+ goals in a single season since the start of the Premier League.
- There have only been three players who increased their output the year after they won the Golden Boot.
- There have only been five players in 20 years who have not seen a drop in their output the year after they won the Golden Boot.
- The average drop in output is -9 goals.
- Before 2001-2002 the Golden Boot winner’s team finished in the top four just 6 times.
- Since 2001-2001 every Golden Boot winner’s team has finished in the top four, both in the season they win the award and the season after.
- Only one Golden Boot winner’s team has been relegated the year after they had a player win Golden Boot
- Only two players have won Golden Boot in three consecutive seasons: Shearer and Henry.
- Only one player has won Golden Boot four out of five seasons: Thierry Henry.
- Theirry Henry would have won five consecutive Golden Boot awards had he scored just one more goal in 2002/2003 instead of getting 23 assists.
- Yes, you read that right. 24 goals, 23 assists in 2002/2003. I’m counting that as a fucking Golden Boot.
- Thierry Henry is the only player to win Tim’s Golden Boot award for 5 consecutive years.
- There was only one Golden Boot winner who left England the year after he won the Golden Boot (Jimmy Floyd Hassleebaienekes)
- There have only been 7 seasons in which the team with the Golden Boot winner did better the year after their player won the Golden Boot
- Only two of those teams’ seasons coincide with the player doing as well or better than the season before, but JFH doesn’t count because he went to Athletico Madrid.
What did I miss?